We will be sharing with you the latest DJI Sparksteps that will help you to bring it to the latest version. These instructions include updating the quadcopter, the radio controller and the battery. You can update the DJI Spark radio controller drone firmware either separately or at the same time.
Your quadcopter will get the latest fixes to issues in addition to the new features for both the quadcopter and the radio controller by upgrading to the latest DJI Spark firmware version.
Firmware is a software that is embedded into the hardware components of your quadcopter. The drone firmware includes fixes to gimbal, camera, flight controller, motors and radio controller.
Each new drone firmware update for the DJI Spark will be different from the last one. Towards the end of this post, we will be discussing some of the DJI Spark firmware fixes and new features added by virtue of the latest updates.
If you are having issues with the DJI Spark’s flight or it is having problems while hovering, then you can adjust the Spark IMU and compass. This calibration of the DJI Spark IMU is likely to resolve majority of the issues.
Drone Firmware update using Go 4 app
- Ensure that there is at least 50% battery left in both the quadcopter and radio controller
- Trigger off the radio controller and the quadcopter
- Detach propellers from the quadcopter
- Connect the radio controller to a smartphone or tablet via the charging port with the help of a micro USB wire
- Trigger on the radio controller and DJI Spark quadcopter while ensuring that they are paired
- Connect your mobile device to the WiFi-enabled internet connection since the drone firmware is quite large in size
- Open the DJI Go 4 app from your mobile device
- The DJI Go 4 app will intimate you if it finds a new firmware update
- Tap “Download Firmware To Begin”
- Tap on “Update Now” button in the top right of your display screen which will be underscored in red
- Now, tap on the Download Now button to begin downloading the latest firmware update
- Once the drone firmware file has been downloaded completely, tap on the Start Update button which is portrayed farther down the screen
- Once the update has been done, a pop up will appear displaying Update Complete. Simply tap OK.
- The radio controller will start beeping.
- Restart both the radio controller and quadcopter to complete the update process
Drone Firmware update using DJI Assistant 2
Here are the steps that you need to follow to update the DJI Spark firmware using DJI Assistant 2 firmware.
You can download the DJI Assistant 2 software from here for your Windows PC or MAC. Here you will also come across DJI Spark quadcopter and radio controller user manuals and drone firmware release notes.
- Connect the quadcopter to your PC or MAC via the micro USB cable
- Ensure that your computer is connected to the internet
- Open the DJI Assistant 2 application
- Enter your DJI account credentials
- Select Spark which is enlisted in the connected devices
- Click Firmware Update in the top left of the screen
- Choose the latest drone firmware update
- Click Update Now to initiate the update process
- Restart the quadcopter once the update has been completed
This video tutorial portrays how to update DJI Spark firmware on your quadcopter and radio controller along with a few tips and tricks in case the update fails to get completed.
Updating DJI Spark battery
If you own multiple DJI Spark batteries, then you will be required to update each one of them separately.
Now, you can update each battery on the same date and they will get updated with the latest drone firmware. This is essential if your battery has received the latest firmware update released by DJI to fix an issue with the battery.
You can also update a different DJI Spark battery if a new drone firmware update is released. There are numerous drone firmware updates released for DJI Spark batteries so you can update them on rotational basis to ensure that each one of them gets updated every couple of months or so.
Drone Firmware update for the radio controller
You can also update your DJI Spark radio controller separately. Ensure that your radio controller is at least 30% charged before you begin updating. It is judicious, however, to have it 50% charged in case the update takes more time than expected.
- Switch on your smartphone or tablet’s WiFi-enabled internet connection and connect it to the DJI Spark radio controller WiFi
- The DJI Spark WiFi will be enlisted something like “Spark-RC-451e78” etc.
- The default password for the WiFi connection should be “12341234”
- Open the DJI Go 4 app
- The DJI Go 4 app will intimate you if it finds a new drone firmware update
- Tap “Download Firmware To Begin”
- Disconnect from the DJI Spark radio controller WiFi and connect with your internet WiFi
- Go back to the DJI Go 4 app and tap Download Now
- The firmware will begin to get downloaded and you will see a progress bar
- Once the firmware has been downloaded, a pop up will be displayed prompting you to check the radio controller and ensure that the battery level is over 30%
- Tap OK
- Return to your WiFi settings. Disconnect from the internet WiFi and connect to the DJI Spark WiFi
- Open the DJI Go 4 app and the radio controller firmware will begin to be updated automatically
- It will take about five minutes for the firmware to be updated
- Once the update has been completed, a pop up will be displayed showing Update Complete. Click OK and restart your radio controller
Here is a short video tutorial showing how to update the DJI Spark firmware using the DJI Go 4 app.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Checks and What Steps to Take in Case of Failure
If the DJI Spark firmware update fails, then you ca take the following steps:
- Get your aircraft charged completely along with the radio controller, mobile device, PC or MAC that is being used to download the update
- Detach the propellers from the drone during the update
- Delete the copy of the drone firmware file from the smartphone, tablet, PC or MAC
- Ensure that your internet connection is functioning well as you want the firmware to be downloaded without any hitches
- Open the DJI Spark webpage and download the firmware again
- While updating the DJI Spark firmware from your smartphone, ensure that once the update has been downloaded, no phone calls are received or other apps such as Facebook, Twitter etc. are opened while the upgrade is being carried out
- Let the DJI Go 4 app or Assistant 2 application stay opened
- Do not move the aircraft, radio controller or your smartphone during the update
- Once the update is complete, restart the aircraft. Exit the DJI Go 4 app and open it again to see if the latest version of the firmware is being displayed
- You can also download the DJI Spark firmware update using the DJI Assistant 2 app. You can also resort to this method if the update does not get installed or if you come across glitches in your aircraft after the update has been installed
DJI Spark Firmware Update Versions
It is always prudent to read the release notes for each DJI Spark firmware update. This will help you get acquainted with the issues that are being resolved or new features that have been integrated.
It is also possible that once you have updated the DJI Spark firmware to the latest version, some glitch might occur in your quadcopter, gimbal, camera, radio controller etc. By reading the DJI Spark release notes, you can get to know the components that are being aimed at in the update.
Here are some of the issues fixed and features added in the latest DJI Spark firmware update:
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0701 – 2017.10.31
- Addition of Sphere Panorama feature (with DJI Go 4 app v 4.1.14 or higher)
- Addition of Dynamic Home Point for ActiveTrack and Gesture modes (with DJI Go 4 app v 4.1.14 or higher)
- Gesture mode will not have the Low Battery Return to Home triggered
- WiFi frequency and channel setting (with DJI Go 4 app v4.1.14 or higher) can be saved
- Enhanced firmware updating stability
- Enhanced Security
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0600 – 2017.08.21
- Addition of a critical battery update
- Compatibility with DJI Goggles
- Fixed issues where users cannot set the flight distance, as well as insufficient ascent for Dronie and Helix Quickshots in some regions
- Optimized Palm Launch
- Optimized battery management to enhance stability
- Fixed an occasional issue where the radio controller does not function normally after updating drone firmware
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0500 – 2017.07.26
- Enhanced photo resolution to 4k Ultra High Definition in Gesture and ActiveTrack modes of flight
- Addition of a new gesture for video recording
- Addition of an option to adjust gimbal tilt sensitivity
- Addition of a 180º Panorama shooting mode
- Enhanced overall gesture recognition and reduction in the probability of false recognition of the selfie gesture
- By default disabling of the Wave gesture while flying indoors or where the GPS signal is weak to ensure safety. It can be enabled in the DJI Go 4 app
- Fixed an issue where photos failed to save and the shutter sound is not made while taking photos in Gesture mode
- The Spark exits QuickShot automatically when a control stick is pulled opposite to the direction of flight
- Flight distances for QuickShots can now be set in the DJI Go 4 app with greater maximum distances while using the radio controller
- Flight directions for Circle and Helix can now be adjusted in the DJI Go 4 app
- Fixed issue where the quadcopter did not ascend high enough with the Dronie Quickshot and optimized Rocket
- Optimized the FPV gimbal mode in Sport mode to keep the gimbal from reaching its endpoint
- Fixed issue where the radio controller occasionally disconnected from the aircraft
- Fixed a rare issue where the radio controller could not be triggered off
- Optimized battery level calculation