After the news of Verizon becoming partners with Parrot for the first off-the-shelf drone, we have more developments coming in. After the news of the Verizon 4G LTE network in the United States, another massive achievement in connectivity is here. The release of the Qualcomm 5G drone platform is official.
Features of Qualcomm 5G drone platform
On Tuesday, Qualcomm announced the first platform that had the referral designs of 5G and AI capabilities. Qualcomm Flight RB5 5G Platform is the name of the product. As the world’s first 5G drone platform, Qualcomm’s solution allows commercial drone pilots to transfer real-time data properly. Even though they conduct procedures at low power, they are efficient with their tasks.
Some of the features of the Qualcomm platform are as follows:
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: This drone is important in enabling beyond visual line-of-sight (BVLOS) by working on further flights
- 360 Obstacle Refrainment: This will enable you to get depth estimation, detection of interferences, and mapping
- Secure Processing Unit: If you want to improve cybersecurity protection within the drones, this unit helps in the elevation of data security and drone safety
- Superior Computing: Considering the platform has a very low power consumption, it provides for AI and Machine Learning (ML), allowing completely autonomous drones
- Improved Controller: By the use of a Smart UAV controller, the drone’s HDMI interface allows the display of video on an external monitor.
Power of 5G
So why is the 5G drone being given the spotlight? What is the truth behind it? 5G connectivity is beneficial for many long-term drone operations, such as drone delivery. Nowadays, almost every drone flies beyond the operator’s line of sight, such as crime detection, inspections, etc. A lost connection may result in a crash.
Position of Qualcomm
Qualcomm is one of the biggest organizations in the market that is trying to establish its credentials in the 5G drone space.
When we create a network between the computer and the mobile phone, the mobile revolution was born. Today, our initial technologies create a mobile habitat and are found in every 3G, 4G, and 5G smartphone.” Statement from Qualcomm
Now, they are heading to the drones, and the future tech, such as transport vehicles.