Why Choosing Mini Drone
Let us help you choose the best micro/mini drone for some exhilarating flight experience.
Why a mini quadcopter?
These drones are compact in size and yet are equipped with a plethora of exciting features. So, if you have doubts if you should be including a mini drone in your repertoire, then here are a few reasons that should compel you to clear your mind.
Nano or micro drones are a beginner’s best bet when it comes to testing their mettle out with regard to their flying skills. A ready to fly model could be a great choice in such a scenario.
- The first and most significant advantage of this kind of drones is that they do not need to be registered with the Federal Aviation Administration as they weigh less than 0.55lbs. This reduces the number of actions that need to be taken before one embarks on their first flight.
- Micro drones are also inexpensive and do not cost an arm and a leg in terms of spare parts and repair and maintenance fees.
- Also, these drones let you have access to some of the features that one only gets with the higher end models.
- These compact sized drones are safer to maneuver and easier to handle and offer a significantly long flight time that is so crucial for extended practice sessions when it comes to rookies learning the art and science of flying a drone.
- The smaller a quadcopter is, a lot more entertainment you can get on your outdoor adventures or when you are visiting a scenic location.
- Mini drones are suitable for indoor flights and can be a great tool to hone one’s flying skills. Once you get adept at flying a small sized quadcopter, then you can always switch to the advanced models.
- Mini quadcopters are quite nimble as they are not loaded with the sophisticated gizmos and this makes them a great option for drone racing.
- The smaller the size of a drone, the easier it is for it to access hard to reach areas as one can zip through trees and gaps with reckless ease.
- The mini drones can be great gifts for adults and teenagers. We are sure that once presented as a gift, they will definitely bring a smile on your loved one’s faces.
- These kinds of drones are safe for kids and children to play around with so parents get a much needed peace of mind.
Disadvantages of mini drones
Before you choose an appropriate model for yourself, here are a few disadvantages associated with mini drones that you need to consider.
- The small size of the drones in itself can be a challenge for the newbies. So, it is important that you get your hands on a drone that is easy to handle and maneuver.
- Nano drones can be driven away even by the slightest of winds. So, it is crucial that you make your mind whether you are willing to purchase a drone meant for outdoor flights or it is the indoor flights that fascinate you the most.
- These drones come with a limited control range so it is important that are kept within the line of sight of the pilot. Battery is another important factor that needs to be taken into account as you would want to get them landed at a safe location when the battery is about to run out of juice.
- Mini drones can be employed to infringe upon one’s privacy or snoop around.
- None of the drones should be landed in a lawn with dew or wet areas. These drones boast a thin landing gear so wet trees or tall grass can be a cause of electrical malfunctioning.
Choosing the right micro and mini drones
Shopping for a mini quadcopter is distinctly different from purchasing a toy from the market. There are certain features that need to be present in them to ensure that you have everlasting fun with them. Here are some of the factors that you should definitely pay heed to.
You need a drone that is able to withstand all the rigors of a rough flight as it will definitely get crashed every now and then. So, you should be looking out for a drone with a formidable build.
Most of the smaller sized drones are flown indoors so you are likely to bump into stuff inside the home and end up damaging the drone as well. A drone should be strong enough to sustain all that tough time.
Crashes are part and parcel of the learning experience so you should always have spare replacement parts in your armory. If you do not have any spare parts available with you, you may have to purchase a totally new drone.
That is why we urge drone owners to purchase additional propellers and other replacement parts of their drones. You should also be able to fix and repair your gizmo once it gets damaged or in case it malfunctions.
You may be attracted to models that are loaded with a video camera but keep in mind that the additional payload in the shape of a camera can result in reduced flight time.
Typically, nano or mini drones do not sport a camera which can be considered a huge drawback of such devices. Having said that, most of the dronies are not worried about this fact and still enjoy the flight experience they get.
Why should you stick to a boring aircraft while your friends are getting so much out of their feature-rich drone?
Manufacturers have added more and more features to enhance the flight experience. Some of these thrilling features include grappling hooks, cameras, waterguns and even bubble guns. So, you should be looking out for a drone that is able to carry out all the amazing aerial stunts such as flips, barrel rolls, banks and all the stunning aerial maneuvers.
You do not have to spend a fortune to get your hands on a drone that offers a great deal of fun. A $15 quadcopter could offer lots of entertainment. You can compare different models along with their prices to get something that can leave you in good stead with your friends.
Mini drone models are available at varying rates and you can purchase a nano quadcopter for less than $70.
Mini drones have become popular owing to their easy transportation and small size. They are light in weight which means that they can be stored and transported with ease. There are some versions so small that you may even stuff them in your pockets as you move along.
The primary reason that people tend to buy smaller drones is because they want to master flying skills. You need to get acquainted with fundamental stuff before you make a move to the larger machines. So, it is judicious to purchase a flexible model first up.
The leading drone manufacturers such as Hubsan, Syma and Parrot will always produce top notch products but you will have to choose what is appropriate for you. Look for reviews and recommendations for fellow consumers and keep an eye at the user ratings since users are quite quick to latch onto any shortcoming. Customer reviews can save you a lot of trouble and also some money.
Flight time is one of the key factors that should be considered when purchasing any kind of drone. These drones typically offer flight times ranging between 5 and 10 minutes along with a control range of 30 to 60 meters. They get charged up in half an hour so these are a few statistics that you need to keep in mind.
The battery is likely to run out of juice super quick if you try out aerial maneuvers such as barrel rolls and flips. So, it is advisable to go for a battery that gets charged in the shortest time span and offers a higher battery time.
If you are flying your drone indoors, then control range becomes a bit of a non-issue. Of course, a control range beyond 100 feet from the point of launch can result in a drone flyaway as a drone of a small size is not easy to sight from such a large distance.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Mini Drones
Here are a few frequently asked questions about mini drones.
What is a mini drone?
A mini drone is a drone that can comfortably fit in the palm of your hand. These kinds of drones are suitable for fun, honing one’s skills as a pilot and getting to know the basics of flying.back to menu ↑
What is a nano drone?
Both the nano drone and the mini drone feature the same functionalities but the primary difference between the two types of drones is that of size. Mini quadcopters are larger in size than nano quadcopters and suitable for outdoor flights.
On the contrary, nano quadcopters are smaller in size than the mini drones and are great for indoor flights.back to menu ↑
What is the difference between a toy and a mini drone?
Mini drones should not be confused with toy drones as they are loaded with intricate flight capabilities and enhanced camera quality.back to menu ↑
Who should fly tiny quadcopters?
These little drones are suitable for novice pilots and also those people who have intermediate experience with regard to flying slightly larger sized drones. If you have had experience in flying a large sized aircraft, then you should be able to get acquainted with flying a mini quadcopter quicker.
These little quadcopters are for both adults and kids. Most of the manufacturers suggest their products for persons above 14 years of age but even younger kids can have a go at them. There is no particular restriction when it comes to a pilot’s age.back to menu ↑
Should I buy a mini or a nano drone?
Before you make a decision, have a look at the reviews posted by users. Nano and mini drones are essentially the same thing and it all boils down to your personal preference.back to menu ↑
Do all mini quadcopters have cameras?
Most of the mini quadcopters are fitted with cameras but they are of course of the highest calibre when it comes to lens quality and other features.back to menu ↑
Do I really need a camera in my mini or micro drone?
It all depends on your personal choice and preference. If you are looking to capture aerial imagery with your drone, then a quadcopter loaded with an inbuilt camera is the way to go. Or at the very least you may as well opt for a quadcopter fitted with a gimbal to which a camera can be mounted. A drone fitted with an integrated camera is a must have for the enthusiasts of first person view flying.back to menu ↑
Can a mini drone support a GoPro?
GoPro cameras boast prolific design to ensure compatibility with most of the drones available on the market. They are equipped with state of the art features such as supporting longer flight duration and offering the capability to capture stunning aerial imagery. However, mini drones are not able to carry these action cameras. Having said that, most of the mini drones are fitted with small sized HD cameras nowadays.back to menu ↑
Where may you hover mini quadcopters?
You need to find out an appropriate spot to get started with your flying lessons. We would suggest you to take your first flight either inside your home or in a large open space outside. It is advisable to fly your drone on windless days outdoors.back to menu ↑
Can micro drones fly indoors?
They are small in size which makes them an ideal option for indoor flights.back to menu ↑
Can a mini quadcopter be flown at night?
Yes, micro drones can be flown at night.back to menu ↑
How long do batteries last in a mini drone?
The life of a battery basically depends on the model of the drone that you own. Typically, nano drones offer shorter battery life span in contrast to the larger sized drones. Generally, they last for about 5 to 8 minutes. The higher end models, however, offer battery timings in excess of 30 minutues.back to menu ↑
Can nano drones be fixed with ease?
Nano drones are very small in size which makes their repair and maintenance quite hard. So, it is best to leave it to professionals. Even the slightest of mistakes could end up damaging your quadcopter permanently. Having said that, if you are experienced and well versed with fixing a drone, then you will certainly be having lot lesser headaches. However, if you do not have the requisite knowledge, it is advisable not to meddle in affairs you ought not to.
If your questions have not be discussed above, we would urge you to contact us by dropping a comment in the comments section below.