Before you bring your kid in contact with the world of drones, it is of paramount importance that you along with your child are aware of the safety precautions that need to be taken beforehand. These safety measures ensure that no one gets hurt or anything gets damaged while using a drone.
Drones for kids may seem to be harmless at first look but it is not judicious to let a kid play around with a drone without being supervised. A drone can have sharp edges along with small components which can become choking hazards for your kids.
- Firstly, you need to ensure if you are required to get the drone registered with the Federal Aviation Administration. The FAA has made it mandatory to get a drone registered if a drone weighs above 0.55lbs. You should opt for a drone lighter than this to prevent yourself from getting involved in this hassle of having to get the drone registered.
- You should strictly adhere to the suggestions for age limit before you purchase a drone for you kid. Buying a drone for a kid below the recommended age limit can be dangerous.
- While your child is playing around with a drone, you should always let them do so under your watch and never ever leave them alone
- Always go through the user’s instructions manual before you let your kid fly it. You would not want him or her to crash it just after unboxing the gizmo and setting it to fly in the air.
- Always stay updated with the latest rules and regulations in relation to drones and their usage.
- Never fly your drone above the legitimate threshold of 400 feet. Also, stay as long as five miles away from the nearest airport while flying your drone.
- Avoid flying your drone over public as you would certainly not want to lose control of the machine and have it crashing down onto someone’s head. It is always advisable to fly UAVs in your backyard, open spaces and never in closed neighborhoods.
- Never fly drones in inclement weather conditions such as rain or gusty winds as drones for kids are nano devices and cannot sustain rigorous weather conditions.
- Do not let infants and toddlers latch onto drones designed for older kids and adolescents.
- Talk to kid to try out the aerial maneuvers either inside your house or just outside it and never elsewhere.
- With excessive use, there comes a time when you are required to change motors and propellers. Always give due diligence to maintenance aspect.
- You should stay updated with the latest innovations, techniques and rules while flying a drone yourself or when you are teaching your kid how to fly one. Talk to your kid and let them know when it is appropriate to fly the machine and when not and also the locations that are prohibited for being used as flying spaces. If you are willing to spend some time with your kid at the outset, it will be worth all the trouble that you may have to face later on.
Things to consider while opting for a kid drone
When it comes to purchasing a drone for your kid, there are certain factors that need to be taken care of. Let’s have a look at them one by one.
The design has to be aesthetically pleasing for sure but it also has to be able to offer a seamless flight experience. Drones with designs emulating Star Wars ships can be really attractive for kids and teenagers.back to menu ↑
It can never be more frustrating for kids as well as their parents to behold a drone crashing down into the ground during its first flight. As is the case with every toy, drones should be able to sustain the impact of a few crashes and wear tear over a long period of time.
When you are scared that your drone is about to get crashed, it is advisable to switch off its power and let it crash into the ground or the wall to restrict the amount of damage.
Having said that, toy drones are not the most durable devices out there and are likely to get damaged. In case of a crash, you should be able to get your hands on spare parts along with being able to get the machine fixed. Kid’s drones are not that durable and also cost a lot less in contrast to the higher end gizmos.back to menu ↑
Drones differ from one another. They can always bump into obstacles, damage property and cause harm to humans as well as pets. Propeller guards are crucial for newbies when they are getting hands on training on how to fly a drone. These guards help reduce the damage sustained in crashes.
Opt for a model that can have its propellers replaced real quick. Go for small sized drones with blade protectors that are either inbuilt or can be accessed separately.back to menu ↑
Ease of use
If you are of the view that a small sized drone would be easier to fly, then you, my friend, cannot get wrong than this! It is very important that you consider the ease of use of a drone while purchasing one for your kid.
A drone that is not easy to use can have your kid lost interest in it. If a kid gets acquainted with the basics, it could spur him or her on to get to know more and hone their skills. Once your child gets better at the basics, he can move on to more advanced stuff.
Look for a drone that comes with a Return to Home feature so that when something goes wrong, it can make its way back to its original point of takeoff. Beginner modes of flight configure the machine to fly in a simple manner and with stability. A simple launch feature can render the taking off process uncomplicated.
These features make the flight experience enjoyable and help your kids learn the art and science of flying a drone. So, if they learn to fly a drone quicker than you, there is no point being shocked.back to menu ↑
As parents, you need to realize the fact that UAVs are eventually going to crash and get damaged. This is where you should be able to get them fixed to ensure that your kid gets back to the flying spree sooner rather than later.
Spare parts provide pilots with the much needed peace of mind. The fact of the matter is that you need to be on your guard and always keep spare parts with yourself before the crash occurs. If you have not done it by now, we would urge you to head to the market and get your hands on the spare parts kit.back to menu ↑
Both indoor and outdoor flight experiences are entertaining. Prefer the small sized models for indoor flights. Such nano drones could assist your kid get to know the basics of drone flying without having to leave the safety of your home.
It is important to go down this route since during indoor flights, your kid does not have to tackle the challenges offered by wind. This enables them to get acclimatized with the controls and response of the UAVs.
Larger sized drones fare better in the face of gusty winds in contrast to smaller sized drones. However, compact models are easier to transport due to their lightweight.back to menu ↑
Kids can get to learn a lot if they are introduced to camera drones. Kids get an opportunity to capture stunning aerial imagery thanks to drones equipped with cameras.
You also do not need to become a skilled pilot before being able to capture high quality aerial imagery. However, if you have to fly the drone and control the camera simultaneously, things can get a wee bit complicated. The learning experience can be all the more fun and patience and endurance have to be of prime significance.
It, however, may not be advisable to introduce younger kids with a drone loaded with an inbuilt camera. We are familiar with the fact that a camera could serve as a distraction for a kid learning to fly a drone. Moreover, emergency landings pose a severe risk of damage to the camera as well.back to menu ↑
Most of the kids drones are not developed by tech giants such as DJI or Parrot. Instead, they are primarily developed by manufacturers such as Hubsan and Syma.
These developers have come up with a wide array of models designed for kids which are easier to fly, long lasting and offer stable flights. If you purchase a drone from a renowned manufacturer, it would mean access to technical and customer support 24/7.
Irrespective of the quadcopter that your purchase, ensure that you place your order from online retailers such as Amazon and never get lured by unreliable vendors.
You can also get your drone insured for associated costs and repair fees. Choose the appropriate value setting judiciously.back to menu ↑
Budget is of prime importance while purchasing a drone for your kid as you need to ensure that your child gets the most out of this gizmo. There are numerous drones available on the market that are dedicated for kids.
Kids are likely to get their drones crashing into the ground and into walls thanks to their poor handling and in the initial phase of their learning experience. That is why you should not try to spend a lot on drones for kids.
At the same time, you also need to consider the fact that you can procure a higher quality machine with rich features for a few extra bucks which will be adored by your kids. If you have money up your sleeves and your kid knows how to handle them, then you should definitely purchase one for them.
These are some of the important factors that should be considered while purchasing drones for kids. The criteria can differ for kids in different age cohorts and with different piloting skills.